Measuring the return on investment from online marketing and PR efforts is essential as an indication of success as well as a feedback mechanism to guide subsequent efforts.
Determining the effectiveness of SEO for Public Relations starts with clearly identified objectives. Matching the purpose for the effort with specific metrics is essential. For example, if improving brand visibility is a goal, then documenting brand mentions in connection with news & PR content at regular intervals can demonstrate the effect of content promotion and link building.
Online PR metrics and tools often include:
- News wire service metrics (see screen capture below)
- Web analytics for landing pages and web site
- Google and Yahoo alerts
- Monitor blog search engines (via RSS)
- Press release landing page conversion tracking
- Social media monitoring
- Inbound links
- Pickups on blogs
- Pickups on other web sites & online publications
- News and Standard Search Engine Rankings
- Conversions: Less likely sales, more likely white paper downloads, webinar signups, newsletter subscriptions, demos, etc